Saturday, November 27, 2010

Feminism and Autonomy

"A different perspective on women's activism is given by an informant from Milan who was a member of Lotta Continua before joining Autonomia in the late 1970s, only becoming a feminist in the 1980s. She recounts how she suffered violence first from her father, opposed to her political activism and later from her partner, also a member of LC, and felt pressurized into denial by the attitude of another woman militant : I joined [LC] when I was 14 because they seemed to be the liveliest New Left group [...] my father was violent and beat me regularly, to « protect » me from what he considered « dangerous political activity », so I had to run away from home when I was 16. [...] I was also beaten up several times by my boyfriend, who was also in [LC], in the « servizio d'ordine », doing something dangerous. Later he beat up another woman and had to go into therapy [...] He was protected by the other women I knew, including my best friend, a woman who had been involved in armed struggle in Argentina and who told me when I asked for help after being beaten : « Well, you fell down the stairs didn't you? ». All of us protected him from the police by saying I had had a car crash after the beatings to prevent him from getting into trouble [...] Not all of the men in the armed struggle were heroes, some were very small people [...] At that point [despite the attack on the women's march in Rome in 1975] I didn't want women to break the organization [...] some of us sprayed on the wall « Uomo donna uniti nella lotta » [...] Women in LC in general were saying that LC shouldn't fall apart for feminist reasons."


Source: "Italian feminism, workerism and autonomy in the 1970s : The struggle against unpaid reproductive labour and violence"
www.metamute.org/en/italian_feminism_workerism_and_autonomy_in_the_1970s_the_struggle_against_unpaid_reproductive_labour_and_violence

1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Newsronic said...

We are providing an ideal opportunity for Pakistanis to overcome their meaningless bounded activities, for example, scrolling over the web! . We are here with a dedicated team for bringing latest news about THE UNFOLD events .It can be about Technology, Health , Business, Islamic or International .We assure you that our work will be with full of responsive talks.
Business

 

Post a Comment

<< Home